Monday, September 15, 2008

First Descents, Day 5

Thursday Morning

I’m hoping you’re doing great. I’m very good. It’s our second to last day on the river with First Descents. We just had breakfast. It’s been great since the first day.

Yesterday was pretty casual. We spent some time on the Salmon River, which passes through the Otter Bar’s property. It runs pretty low in the late summer so we couldn’t kayak any distance. I practiced pointing the boat upstream into rapids and wet rescues.

The boats were talking to me this morning as I was out in the fire break meadow practicing Tai Chi. They want to get out on the river and hit some rapids. Each day I’m more attuned with fun and trepidation fades. We’ve practiced for 4 days and now comes the two days of using what we learned and having fun. We’ll still practice, but we’re pretty much into being on the river and enjoying the ride. I’m very psyched….

Thursday Evening

We’re back from the river, so the good news is everyone is alive. One of my brain tumor survivor friends, Ariella, was able to come along on the raft, but couldn’t kayak. She started to get a headache yesterday and has a long history of migraines, even before the whole brain tumor thing started. Unfortunately, she had to take a Vicodin today and just ride on the raft. She was a really good sport about it, but we all wished she could come along Kayaking.

We put in and immediately hit a hefty rapid. There was a nut missing on one of the foot adjustments on my boat. We discovered that after my boat tipped. I was going to wait for a rescue, but I ended up just popping out. So about 3 minutes into the day, I had a wet exit.
At least it wasn’t because I pulled the safety strap. I was just out. And I got my first oral enema.

Peter, the lead trainer was there as soon as I came up and got me calmed down and on track right away. We went down another rapid and I made it through. On the next one I hit a rock, and was about to get out of it, but one of the other survivors hit me from behind and in I went. I rolled over and hit the rock, and was kind of being punched against it for a few seconds so I bailed. I just missed a wet rescue, but oh well, I came up laughing.

It was a really fun day. We did 3 or 4 more strong rapids and I managed to say up. It was a lot of fun, and again, I was totally there. I didn’t’ have any other thoughts in my head other than I was floating on the river, enjoying the view, or I was on the rapids and trying to follow the smart person. I just do what I can to imitate what they’re doing, and so far it has worked well.

Well, we’ve got one more day and I’m headed back to So Cal and you. I hope you’re doing well. Please send my love to everyone, and if you have a chance, please ask Chewie and Danny if they want to help you call Kari and wish her a happy birthday.

No comments: