Monday, September 15, 2008

First Descents, Day 1

It’s Sunday evening. I just finished my first day with First Descents at The Otter Bar Kayaking School. It was a very physically challenging day and I'm tired. I started this morning doing Chi Kung warm up exercises with a couple of people in the group. After I arrived on and got settled on Saturday evening, I committed to teach these exercises to help people warm up their hips and shoulders for the unique demands of kayaking. I wanted to give something back to First Descents. I felt so grateful for this generous program for Cancer Survivors that teaches participants to learn about kayaking and challenge themselves to accomplish things they might not have thought they could do.

This morning we got our Kayaks set up and adjusted our other safety equipment. We and were in the water pretty quickly after breakfast. The instructors began by flipping us over and turning us back upright. Once I was comfortable with that, I began learning to roll myself over and not panic when I was upside down in the water. At first it was scary, a real exercise in mental control. I wasn't under the water for very long, but it was just kind of freaky when I first started. I learned how to escape from the boat first, which, the instructors stressed, is the least preferable alternative if you flip on white water. Next I learned how to flip my boat over and wait for someone come in to rescue me. Then I had to place my hands on the bow of the boat and roll upright. I learned to use pressure from my knees and bend my waist laterally to roll the boat upright.

Then we learned how to row the boat forward, turn, and then to bank the boat and turn while paddling. It was a lot to remember so much in one day. The last activity was learning to roll the boat upright on our own if we flip. I ended up pooping out before I could learn. I was so tired that the instructions just weren't sticking in my head. I was also hampered by my build, range of motion and limited stamina. Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get it. The instructors suggested I try a different boat tomorrow. I'm kind of heavy for the first boat they gave me. They though it would be easier for me to gain and maintain speed in a larger boat.

So far, this sure has been an adventure. I've already done things I never imagined I would. I'm having a really good time, and being here really is a challenge.

No comments: