Monday, August 4, 2008

More LIVESTRONG Snapshots

Blog # 4

Entry 3 left off Friday evening, less than halfway through the LIVESTRONG Summit. Saturday was a good day. There was some good advice on marketing and then another group project; we put on a mock fundraiser party. Our event was a lot of fun. I got to read poetry and play Demo Chef - in addition to informing people about LAF and some of the good work they do.

On Saturday evening, the LAF hosted a huge dinner at the Columbus Zoo. I enjoyed the opportunity to talk with new friends. I didn’t walk around the zoo but I had a great time. While riding back to the hotel with Julie and Keith Houston, I realized what I like about the LAF. It empowers individuals to use their expertise to help cure cancer. Other major organizations I have worked with have seemed much more hierarchical. They allow volunteers to be a small cog in the big machine, but innovation and moxie are not necessarily welcome. Their message has been, “You can help with our gig, but don’t push the new ideas. We’re not really that interested in what you are doing, so just hush up and do what is best for you.” The LAF encourages individuals to take charge of their own solutions. There is an entrepreneurial spirit. I appreciate the option to not have to kiss butt in order to do I want to.

Sunday morning at the summit was really nice. I finally connected with the majority of the brain tumor survivors in attendance. I did a lot of networking throughout the summit. Again on Sunday, I collected a lot of cards.

The closing session at the summit was very impressive. It opened with an address from the Governor of Ohio. Then there was a panel with a former director of the NIH, The Chief Medical Correspondent for CNN, the president of Ohio State University, the president of the LAF and Lance Armstrong. It was a very inspiring group. The speakers throughout the summit were all impressive. Friday morning opened with a speech by amazing doctor from Harlem, NY. He is renown for having created a system that helps low income patients learn to navigate the medical system. The outcomes of increased survival time and quality of life have been amazingly positive. On Saturday Morning we started off hearing from a former Surgeon General. John McCain was there on Thursday evening for the Presidential Town Hall. The LAF did a great job bringing in influential people to meet with us. We were very appreciative.

It’s a week since the summit convened. I still haven’t had time to send out information about my book, Lemonade - Notes To Cancer or my workshops on Healing Through Creativity. All things in their time, I suppose. I was glad to meet so many great people while I was in Columbus. It is a nice big little city. I hope I can go back to spend a little more time there.

Oh-Hi-o!

No comments: